Hurricane Victims are Remodeling Their Homes
Eastern Texas, including Houston and surrounding areas, was devastated by Hurricane Harvey, in late August 2017. It was deemed the costliest tropical cyclone on record, inflicting approximately $125 billion in damage. Many homeowners continue to feel the effects of the hurricane months, and even years later. So, what do you do about the flood damage to your home after a hurricane? Consider home remodeling to get back on track.
(photo courtesy of http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/rockets-owner-ups-hurricane-harvey-aid-pledge-10m-report-article-1.3452315)
WHAT TO DO
1. Immediately after a flood, take pictures to document the water damage.
2. Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. There will be thousands of customers calling in their claims, so you will want to get a head start.
3. You should immediately remove water-damaged elements, such as insulation, drywall, and wood flooring. Just be sure to document any damage before removing.
4. Have a mold inspection done by a qualified inspector to detect the presence of any mold since this can be very toxic and threaten the health of everyone in the house.
5. Think about what you want to do with your home. Renovating, rebuilding, or selling and moving are a few options available to homeowners.
HOME REMODELING -The BEST Option
(photo courtesy of http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/article/Bellaire-assess-Harvey-damage-2-300-homes-12209916.php)
Following a devastating hurricane, it may not seem that there is a bright side. However, renovating your home is just that. You can now make improvements to your home that will help protect it against future extreme weather events, while also giving your home the personality and charm it needs.
Home remodeling after a flood, consider wood-like flooring. Hardwood or carpeted flooring is more challenging to clean up as it can be significantly damaged by water. Carpet absorbs water and is extremely difficult to dry out after a flood. Tile is one of the best flooring options since it can withstand moisture.
A storm can cause serious damage to your home, especially your windows. Installing energy-efficient or storm windows can not only help it withstand high winds, but these windows also give you one of the best returns on investment. Additionally, with proper fit and installation, new windows can greatly reduce your energy costs.
In addition to your windows, the exterior of your home may have also been damaged. Consider installing vinyl siding to your home. It will give your home a new look and is very durable.
Definitely use quality materials when doing a home remodeling. It’s worth the time and money to do the project properly with quality materials because it will last longer.
One of the most important steps you will take before a home remodeling is finding the right contractor. All Star Construction, Inc. is one of the leading design/build contractors in the Houston area. Recognized for our dedication to customers and commitment to projects, our reputation is second to none. We offer full design and build services that are perfect for renovating your home and helping you rebuild your life following a disaster.
Contact All Star Construction today for a free estimate!!